Carbohydrate is the essential fuel your body needs when training for more than one hour, but what your body has stored up is relatively small, especially when your train a lot. Depleting your store of carbohydrate, known as glycogen depletion, can happen after one long session or several days of training. Glycogen depletion makes you feel like you have no energy and your legs are like lead.
Keeping hydrated is an absolute must if you want to optimize your training benefits. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium and magnesium, are lost through sweat and need to be replaced.
Muscles become sore and stiff when they are stressed during training, especially when you do more than one session a day. The depletion of muscle glycogen (muscle carb stores) can impair muscle function resulting in fatigue and reduced exercise performance. The right mix of protein and carbohydrate will help you recover after intense long lasting exercise and turn up ready to perform at your next training session.
- Energy Drink is a must for any long training session, especially your longer rides. This scientifically formulated carbohydrate and electrolyte solution helps you sustain your performance and enhance your hydration during endurance exercise. Simply add the powder to your water bottle.
- This easy to chew, great tasting Energy Bar filled with real fruits and grains provides you with both simple and complex carbohydrates to keep you fuelled before and during your training sessions. It’s easy to carry with you so you can fuel on the go.
- Energy Gel is a convenient, fruity gel which delivers carbohydrate straight to your muscles during exercise. Use this when you need an immediate energy boost.
- Sports Vitamins has been specifically formulated to support your training. With 20 active ingredients aimed at replacing key deficiencies common in athletes and boosting your performance, Sports Vitamins help you to be at your best, every day.
- A delicious tasting recovery shake for after your training, Recovery Drink contains 18g of whey isolate, a top quality source of protein which contributes towards muscle growth and maintenance. Training multiple times a week (and often multiple times a day) requires good recovery – makes sure you refuel with both carbohydrate and protein within 20 minutes of finishing your training session.
Race Day Nutrition
Energy Drink, Energy Gel and Energy Bar will be on course at the Castle Triathlon Series. For a race day nutrition plan, check out our Race Day Nutrition Guides. We recommend you practise your nutrition plan in training.
We have some blogs on triathlon training that can help you along the way (all open in a new window):