Keeping hydrated is an absolute must if you want to get the most from your ride. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium and magnesium, are lost through sweat and need to be replaced.
Carbohydrate is the essential fuel your body needs during cycling, but your store is relatively small. Depleting your store of carbohydrate, known as glycogen depletion, often happens towards a longer ride, especially if you don’t take on carbohydrates regularly throughout the ride. Glycogen depletion makes you feel like you have no energy and your legs are like lead.
Muscles become sore and stiff when they are stressed during cycling. The depletion of muscle glycogen (muscle carb stores) can impair muscle function resulting in fatigue and reduced exercise performance. The right mix of protein and carbohydrate will help you recover after a tough race.
- The HIGH5 Cycle Pack is our go to for everything you need on race day.
- This easy to chew, great tasting Energy Bar filled with real fruits and grains provides you with both simple and complex carbohydrates to keep you fuelled during your ride.
- For an energy boost before or during your ride, we recommend Energy Gel Caffeine Hit. Just like Energy Gel Aqua, each sachet delivers 23g of carbohydrate energy but the Caffeine Hit also contains a high dose of caffeine (100mg). When taking part in tough sports events, caffeine contributes to an increase in endurance performance and capacity. That means you can go further than before!
- Energy Drink is a scientifically formulated carbohydrate and electrolyte solution to help you sustain your performance and enhances your hydration during endurance exercise. Simply add the powder to your water bottle.
- Energy Gel Caffeine is smooth with a light consistency, making it easy to have on the go. Same as Energy Gel, use this when you need an immediate energy boost – with an extra 30mg caffeine.
- A delicious tasting recovery shake for after your ride. Recovery Drink contains 18g of whey isolate, a top quality source of protein which contributes towards muscle growth and maintenance.
RACE DAY NUTRITION
Check out our Cross Country Nutrition Guide for an easy to follow race day guide. We recommend you practise your nutrition plan for the sportive in training.