Keeping hydrated is an absolute must if you want to get the most from your ride. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium and magnesium are lost through sweat and need to be replaced.
Carbohydrate is the essential fuel your body needs during cycling, but your store is relatively small. Depleting your store of carbohydrate, known as glycogen depletion, often happens towards a longer ride, especially if you don’t take on carbohydrates regularly throughout the ride. Glycogen depletion makes you feel like you have no energy and your legs are like lead.
If you empty your carbohydrate reserves in one day’s riding, it’s almost impossible to fully re-fuel by the next day and you will start with a part-empty tank. You must make a major effort to focus on fuelling your carbohydrate reserves during and after each day’s riding. This is critical to consistent performance in multi day events.
Muscles become sore and stiff when they are stressed during running. The depletion of muscle glycogen (muscle carb stores) can impair muscle function resulting in fatigue and reduced exercise performance. The right mix of protein and carbohydrate will help you recover after intense long lasting rides and turn up ready to perform the next day.
- Energy Drink with Protein is an all-in-one sports drink for use both during and after exercise. The blend of carbs, protein and key electrolytes helps you to sustain performance and hydration as well as promote the growth and recovery of normal muscles, which can result in stronger, more resilient muscle. This can make a real difference when riding multiple days. Simply add the powder to your water bottle.
- This easy to chew, great tasting Energy Bar filled with real fruits and grains provides you with both simple and complex carbohydrates to keep you fuelled during your ride.
- Energy Gel is a convenient, fruity gel which delivers carbohydrate straight to your muscles during exercise. Use this when you need an immediate energy boost.
- For an energy boost before or during your ride, we recommend Energy Gel Caffeine Hit. Just like Energy Gel Aqua, each sachet delivers 23g of carbohydrate energy but the Caffeine Hit also contains a high dose of caffeine (100mg). When taking part in tough sports events, caffeine contributes to an increase in endurance performance and capacity. That means you can go further than before!
- A delicious tasting recovery shake for after your ride, Recovery Drink contains 18g of whey isolate, a top quality source of protein which contributes towards muscle growth and maintenance.
RACE DAY NUTRITION
If you have entered a multi day event check out our Multi Day Event Nutrition Guide. We recommend you practise your nutrition plan in training.
SPORTIVE TRAINING PLANS
Looking for a training plan that will get you ready for a sportive? Our knowledgeable cycling coaches can guide you through a 12 week schedule to help you achieve your goal. The training plans are suitable for both riders new to sportives and more seasoned cyclists. Get yours here (opens in new window).