At HIGH5, we want to provide you with tasty sports nutrition that helps you achieve you goals without the impact on the environment from single-use packaging.
Our single-use packaging as commonly used in the sports nutrition industry isn't widely recyclable through traditional recycling facilities. We have a responsibility to address this.
At the moment, the packaging we use for our gels and bars is the best way to make sure they are made, stored and used without bursting or splitting. It also makes sure they are kept fresh so they can do their job properly in providing you with a tasty energy boost. We take our responsibility to reduce our impact on the environment seriously which is why we are constantly looking at new materials. However, we know from our extensive investigations that a viable packaging material for our current single-use packaging is a long way off.
We know you will be able to enjoy your sport more knowing the products you’re taking aren’t having a negative impact on the environment which is why we have decided to take another form of action.
We now offer different ways to recycle our packaging.
The hard-to-recycle waste, like our Energy Gel and Energy Bar wrappers, are not considered locally recyclable, but waste management companies can still recycle these and turn them into a material that can be used to make new products.
Here’s how you can get involved in the our Recycling Programme:
- HIGH5 collection bins given to event partners: We are working with our event partners to get HIGH5 collection bins at every event, so make sure to sign up to our sponsored events. You can check with your event to see if they will be on course or take a look at the bottom of this page for a full list of events that are part of our programme!
- Use bins at feed stations on course: These bins will be available at feed stations around the course, make sure you’re popping your wrappers in those and not on the floor! You can also collect your wrappers used during training and drop them off on event day at bins in the event village.
- All collected wrappers get recycled by our recycling partner: Once the event is over, we will collect and send the contents of all the bins to be recycled.
With orders of gels from the HIGH5 Website, you'll receive a pre-paid envelope so you can return your wrappers to us for FREE.
- Collect your used HIGH5 Wrappers: Pocket the packet on your run/rides, give them a rinse at home and store them until you have a stash.
- Pop them in the post: Once you’ve got some wrappers collected, pop them in an envelope and send them back to us. Orders containing Gels will come with a pre-paid envelope to send them back to us for free, but you don’t have one you can send them back to us at: THE HIGH5 RECYCLING PROGRAMME, AB Sports Nutrition, Sea View Way, Brighton, BN2 6NT.
- Recycle and start again: We’ll recycle the wrappers with our recycling partner, where they could end up as pack benches, plant pots or watering cans!
The following event organisers are part of the HIGH5 Sports Nutrition Recycling Programme:
Active Leisure Events (including MBNA Chester Marathon)
All or nothing Events
Always Aim High Events
Andy Cook Cycling
Bath Half Marathon
Brighton Marathon Weekend
Cambridge Half Marathon
Kings Cup Gravel Festival
Milton Keynes Marathon
Raiders Gravel Festival
Ride Across Britain
Run4Wales (including Cardiff Half Marathon)
Sidley London Revolution
Tour of Cambridgeshire
Threshold Trail Series
Run for All Events (including Leeds Half and Yorkshire Marathon)
Etape Loch Ness
Loch Ness Marathon