At HIGH5 we provide sports nutrition products to help you to enjoy your sport more and achieve the goals you’ve set out to achieve.
Whilst a lot of our packaging can be recycled, we know not everything is. Our single-use packaging (this includes our Energy Gel and Energy Bar wrappers) aren’t widely recyclable through traditional recycling facilities as they are made of multiple layers of different plastics. We have a responsibility to address it.
At the moment, the packaging we use for our gels and bars is the best way to make sure they are made, stored and used without bursting or splitting. It also makes sure they are kept fresh so they can do their job properly in providing you with a tasty energy boost. We take our responsibility to reduce our impact on the environment seriously which is why we are constantly looking at new materials. However, we know from our extensive investigations that a viable packaging material for our current single-use packaging is a long way off.
We know you will be able to enjoy your sport more knowing the products you’re taking aren’t having a negative impact on the environment which is why we have decided to take another form of action.
We have partnered with TerraCycle®.
What is TerraCycle®?
TerraCycle® is a recycling company specialising in hard-to-recycle waste. This means they take packaging that is not considered locally recyclable, like our Energy Gel and Energy Bar wrappers, and work with national waste management companies to turn them into a material that can be used to make new products.
How can I get involved in the HIGH5 Sports Nutrition Recycling Programme?
There are many ways you can get involved in the programme!
- HIGH5 collection bins given to event partners: We are working with our event partners to get HIGH5 collection bins at every event, so make sure to sign up to our sponsored events, you can check with your event to see if they will be on course.
- Use bins at feed stations on course: These bins will be available at feed stations around the course, make sure you’re popping your wrappers in those and not on the floor!
- All collected wrappers get recycled by TerraCycle®: Once the event is over, we will collect and send the contents of all the bins to TerraCycle® to be recycled.
- Collect your used HIGH5 Wrappers: Pocket the packet on your run/rides, give them a rinse at home and store them until you have a stash.
- Pop them in the post: Once you’ve got some wrappers collected, pop them in an envelope and send them back to us at: THE HIGH5 RECYCLING PROGRAMME, AB Sports Nutrition, Sea View Way, Brighton, BN2 6NT.
- Recycle and start again: We send your wrappers to TerraCycle®, they could end up as park benches, plant pots or watering cans!